This is the new way Facebook is requiring all advertisers to create custom conversions after all the apple privacy updates were rolled out. I made this video specially for those people running lead magnet ads, so if you want people to join your email list or your launch, this video is for you!
There are a couple of things you need to do before we start, so you don’t run the risk of getting your ads paused by Facebook:
- You have to have your website domain verified by Facebook, if you haven’t done this yet, here is how to do so.
- Make sure that when you’re creating your campaigns on Facebook ads for your lead magnets or to grow your email list, all the campaigns and thank you pages have to be sent to a domain or a subdomain that you OWN. For example, domain>>> anakatzdigital.com or a subdomain>>> thankyou.anakatzdigital.com
Now that you’re are ready and have those two set up, you can start following the step-by-step below to create your custom conversions the new way Facebook is requiring:
- Go to Facebook Ads Manager and click on the navigation menu (nine dots on the top left), and got to Events Manager.
- Go to Costume Conversions located in the left menu, and then click on the Custom Conversion button.
- Add the name for your Custom Conversion, then select the Category (Lead). Go and copy the URL for your ‘Thank you page’. If you have a dynamic URL, make sure you grab the piece of code that will be the same for everybody. Paste the URL to your thank you page and then click on Create.
- The Custom Conversion will appear inactive, this is because you haven’t had any lead opting in yet. All you need to do is wait.
- Now, go and copy the ID code for the Custom Conversion, and then go to Business Settings.
- On the left menu, go to Data Sources and then click on Custom Conversions. Click on add and then click on Add Custom Conversion. You might need to refresh the page to be able to see the Custom Conversion you created previously.
- The next thing you are going to do is double-check that the thank you page is working by using the Pixel Helper Chrome extension, if it is working properly your Custom conversion should appear there, if it doesn’t show then wait a couple of hours and go check again. If at that point it still doesn’t show, go back to STEP 3 and make sure that you added the URL properly.
- Go back to Events Manager, click on Aggregated Event Measurement, and then click on Configure Web Events.
- Click on Manage Events, click on Edit, and then click on Add Event. The Spaces will appear at the bottom, Select Custom Conversion, then select the Event. If your event is not showing, give it 48 hours, if after that time your event doesn’t show, I recommend you to contact Facebook live chat. Always organize your events by priority, after that is done, click on Submit at the right bottom.
You’re all done! Make sure your Custom Conversions are set up this way, don’t run the risk of getting your ads paused. I hope this was helpful, let me know if you have any questions.